What is Orion Club?
Orion Club is for fathers and their sons in the 5th through 7th grade. It teaches the boys to become men of character. They learn to overcome difficulties, to stick to a task until it is finished, to respect others, to aspire to higher ideals. For the fathers, the club provides tools to help them educate their sons to be this sort of man.
WHAT are the goals?
For the Boys
- To begin thinking about what kind of men they will be when they grow up
- To learn about some fundamental virtues and how they can live them
- To engage in fun yet manly activities where they can develop their character
- To become friends with other boys who are developing their character
For the Fathers
- To have a chance to be with their sons in a fun atmosphere
- To better understand and articulate the virtues and see how they can help their sons acquire them
- To have more occasions for the conversations they want to have with their sons about deeper subjects
Who can join Orion Club?
Fathers and their 5th-7th grade sons. Fathers are expected to attend the monthly meetings with their sons.
What happens at orion club meetings?
20-minute talk for the boys on some aspect of character; the fathers also attend.
30-minute boys’ activity of sports or a creative activity like skits, magic tricks, charades, or jeopardy.
30-minute talk for the fathers on the virtues (general aspects as well as specific virtues). This occurs during the activity period for the boys.
50-minute physical activity for boys with the fathers; sports or something like repairing bicycle flats, splitting logs, changing a car tire.
Concluding snack with general socializing of the fathers and sons.
A priest available for Confession throughout the afternoon.
DATE / TIME
The club meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 PM (except for April, on the 1st Saturday).